Account Info
Log Out
English
Back
Back to the Top
Co-Wise: How do you decide when to buy/sell?
Share your thoughts with mooers and communicate with experienced traders! Show More
Share your thoughts with mooers and communicate with experienced traders!

Views
Join topic
Latest
Hot
    Once again co-wise: moomoo tutorial contest part 2 "How do you decide when to buy/sell" had closed up perfectly, thanks to all ya guys. Here comes the reward for your hard work: All qualified posts will be rewarded with 88 points, and 20 extraordinary mooers will get a stock!
    Part Ⅰ: Winners announcement
    PartyCongrat to
    @Philip Chow Howgyn
    @HopeAlways
    @NANA123
    @nigedernigeder
    @cowabanga
    @102265860
    @Mumford
    @Qwinbie
    @Ganar Poco
    @Panda2102
    @战神鑫爷
    @cosmiclatte89
    @PirateyAhoy
    @pocketchange
    @OngMali888
    @BH Beh
    @mooboo
    @intelligentfish
    @Johannpee
    @Txfen80
    *You will receive your rewards within 10 working days.
    Part Ⅱ: Vote to support your favorite 
    This time we want to invite you to vote for your favorite mooers who wrote for the theme. 
    Due to the voting system, we can only choose 5 extraordinary mooers to join the voting section. With great pity, we do the draft base on the following principles:
    1. logical and practical content 
    2. typesetting and pictures 
    3. Engagement volume.   
    Then here comes the winner and their posts:
    Grinmooboo:
    When to buy? And when to sell? Here's my answer.
    GrinPanda2102:
    My thought process of when to buy and sell a stock
    GrinTxfen80:
    Technical analysis (TA) + Exponential Moving Average (EMA)
    Grin战神鑫爷:
    How do u decide to buy / sell
    Grincowabanga:
    How to decide when to buy or sell
    The one who gets the most votes at the end of the poll will win the "mentor moo" title. What a crowning honor. 
    Part Ⅲ: Read and learn from the mentors
    Because of the limited space, we simply use one or two sentences to show the main point of these posts. Don't forget to click the link and read the full content. These selected posts carried priceless investing experience that could help you earn more & lose less! 
    Cool GuyNANA123:
    Follow the current trend to buy/sell
    Cool Guynigedernigeder:
    The nature of investing is a math but it is also an art.
    Cool Guyintelligentfish:
    Wait for a pullback & use technical analysis
    Cool GuyHopeAlways:
    Everythings depends on your investment goals, investment philosophy and investment time horizon!
    Cool Guy102265860:
    Buy after watching 1. buy/sell volume 2. related news. Sell after evaluating the ROI.
    Cool Guypocketchange:
    1. A strong individual psychology 2. money management skills 3. A logical trading strategy.
    Cool GuyJohannpee:
    Use fundamental analysis and technical indicators to decide when to buy. Ask yourself the reason you have bought the stock before you sell. Mind your lose and don't get greedy.
    After reading these thought-provoking posts, you might feel fulfilling and have a lot to express. Don't forget to leave your comment and tell mooers about what you have learned. They will be happy to get your feedbacks! I guess that's all, and remember to join the next topic!
    Bye!ByeByeBye
    *We found some people write their posts by copying recently. Plagiarism or cheating is not acceptable on moomoo in any kind of community activity. Please "Report" the post if you see any. Once confirmed, the user committed shall be disqualified from the activity.
    Reward Announcement! Vote for your favorite!
    There is no one best way to determine when to buy and sell stocks of $Dow Jones Industrial Average(.DJI.US)$, $Nasdaq Composite Index(.IXIC.US)$, $S&P 500 index(.SPX.US)$. The chosen strategy depends on our investment goals, investment philosophy and investment time horizon. The investment strategy I follow is one based on Warren Buffett's value investing model. The stock investing decisions will be made on the basis of risk evaluation. The three main risks are company, valuation and earnings risks. When the underlying company is great in terms of management and shows consistently high profitability, the company risk is low. When we are patient enough to buy a fundamentally well run company with sustainable competitive advantage whose stock price is at a steep discount to its intrinsic value, our valuation risk is low. When a company's earnings remain strong, the earnings risk is low. Once we are able to find a stock that that signals low risk based on these three conditions, it is time to buy. Even if the price were to dip in the short run, as long as our investment thesis is still valid, our focus should be on long term gains as fundamentally strong stocks tend to always go higher in the long run. Whenever a negative change happens to any of the three conditions,  it is time to sell. When it comes to selling, we may decide to sell stocks once the price gets close to their fair value which implies that there is limited upside left and we could then reinvest the proceeds into stocks with higher potential upside for better returns.
    $Apple(AAPL.US)$
    $Microsoft(MSFT.US)$
    $Alphabet -CL A(GOOGL.US)$
    $Amazon(AMZN.US)$
    $Facebook(FB.US)$
    $Tesla(TSLA.US)$
    $NVIDIA(NVDA.US)$
    $Visa(V.US)$
    When to buy:
    1. The underlying company is great
    2. It is selling for much less than it is worth
    3. Consistently high profitability
    4. Low debt levels
    5. Able to pay its short-term obligations
    6. Has a durable competitive advantage
    7. When it's current stock price is at least 25% lower than its intrinsic value.
    When to sell:
    1. Price reaches value.
    2. Long-term problems arise
    3. A better opportunity becomes available.
    The wisest rule in investment is: when others are selling, buy. When others are buying, sell. Usually, of course, we do the opposite. When everyone else is buying, we assume they know something we don't, so we buy. Then people start selling, panic sets in, and we sell too.
    I am new here
    Buy low, sell high is a sure way to make money, but how many people can really buy low and sell high?A good time to buy a stock usually is when there is a broad market sell off, which drags the stock down. Another possible good time to buy is when certain news affects the stock price, but actually has no impact on the company's financial performance. One good example was the short report on Enphase in 2018 and 2020 where the stock fell more than 20% in a single night. It was a good opportunity to buy in on those days.A good time to sell a stock is when the fundementals of the company has changed. Slowing growth, losing market share or changing business models are some examples of this. Another good reason to sell would be if you have found a better investment opportunity to place your money into.
    This has to be one of the most debatable topics in the world of investing. Just when you think you've done all the hard work and chose the right stock, now you have to ponder about when you should buy or sell it. In all honesty, this is a question that has no direct answer. My answer, as always, is that it all depends on your strategy and what you need. It varies from person to person.
    Being someone who can afford to wait for my money to grow, I expect to withdraw my holdings in index funds like $S&P 500 index(.SPX.US)$  in a few years. Why? Because historically, the S&P 500 has grown at an average of 8% a year, and I expect it to continue being on an upward trajectory. This is a play that's safe, but also takes a significant amount of time. I buy more during dips and at the end of the day, my goal is to cash out by the end of at least a decade. Perhaps if you're in a good spot financially and you can afford to wait for this money to grow, you could do the same too!
    I'd do the same for stocks which are generally safer and will be able to sustain their revenues and cash flows for the next few years. $Apple(AAPL.US)$ , $Intel(INTC.US)$ ,$JD.com(JD.US)$ and $Alibaba(BABA.US)$ are a few well-known long-term holds, along with many more!
    The strategy I apply to stocks I swing-trade/momentum-trade/day-trade is very different though! I apply a simple rule - exit at 10% profit or the next technical breakout. For me, this has been effective with $NIO Inc(NIO.US)$ ,$Atossa Therapeutics Inc(ATOS.US)$ and $Luokung Technology(LKCO.US)$ . However, selling is the easy part. It's when to buy that's the difficult part.
    Keeping a lookout for potential catalysts like stock splits, FDA approvals and earnings reports and buying just before these things happen is a common strategy among most swing traders or day traders. Some traders with insider information are able to receive buy signals before most people.
    Another way to decide when to buy is when RSI indicators show that a stock is severely oversold, and you believe for a fact that the price of the stock will run up after the FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) clears up.
    Day-traders often prefer a more technical take, and trade based on volume, moving averages and candlestick charts. This is a very specific skill that's hard to get right.
    I have left a special section here for some people whi choose to buy the dip when "meme stocks" like $GameStop(GME.US)$ and $AMC Entertainment(AMC.US)$ are down, and sell when the price runs up from a short squeeze. While I do not encourage this, this is indeed another strategy of buying and selling adopted by some investors who prefer to take on more risk.
    However, I have to warn you that these strategies are far from foolproof, and you have to assess your risk before deciding what to invest in. If you are not able to hold your funds for a long time, or if you're bleeding cash paid to interest because you are trading on margin/leverage, it is good to set a stop loss at whatever percentage that's suitable for you.
    The most important thing is that the way you buy or sell a stock depends on what kind of stock it is. If it's a day trading stock, you buy it based on indicators and signals and sell it once you see good profit. If it's a stock to hold for the long run, you normally just add on dips and sell it years later, unless something fundamentally negative comes up. If it's one of those swing-trading stocks, buy it and sell it based on your own due diligence. Look at how the experts are playing the game and learn a tip or two. There is no direct answer, and while I have offered you my way of doing it, it doesn't work for everyone. We need to all understand that the answer for these questions don't just appear at the end of a workbook. It takes experience and research to know what's right for you.
    While you're at it, learn to trade options! Selling puts can be your best friend when you're stuck in a dilemma. Take my word for it and look it up!
    Happy trading everyone!
    Investment is very simple, you can just follow the trend; but sometimes it’s extremely hard for human nature.ChuckleInvestors like to complicate the simple things, and they are anxious about the buying/selling points.ShockedShockedShocked I think the way to profit is not to see the market correctly, but to have the arrogance to gain a lot when you follow the trend properly, and the courage to face the failure. Investors must learn to move forward in the mist and strengthen their confidence.
    1. Cut loss and let profit run
    I think investment is essentially a risk management game, not a profit-seeking. We have to set the stop loss level reasonably, since the indicator is what we can control, the profit is controlled by the market.Doge
    Recently I pay attention to  $Lucid Group(LCID.US)$  which is the combination of  $Tesla(TSLA.US)$ and  $Ferrari(RACE.US)$ , I like this new energy car which appearance is high-end, so I bought the stock at $22.
    2. Buying stocks is buying companies
    Trend investors buy at a high price after an uptrend is formed which take advantage of the trend, and sell them at a higher price when the market changes.Trick When buying at a low price and the downtrend is forming, they should sell them at a lower price decisively so as not to loss much. Stock picking is not as good as picking time, and picking time is inferior to picking momentum.
    For example, once my dad posited in  $Sea(SE.US)$  at 35 dollars, now the price has risen 10 times. This company directly copied the business models of  $Tencent(00700.HK)$  and  $Alibaba(BABA.US)$  to Southeast Asia, and has ranked first in games and e-commerce in most countries. I am very optimistic about the company, so I bought it.
    3. Read more investment books
    I like to find answers in books, so I read a lot of classics which are written by Warren E. Buffett/Philip A. Fisher/Charlie Thomas Munger/Benjamin Graham/John Templeton/Peter Lynch. The stock market rises slowly but falls quickly, because the explosive power of fear far exceeds the desire of greed. The prices need purchasing power to rise, but can fall freely as long as their own gravity! Buffett said: "As long as an investor can avoid big mistakes, he won't worry about it next ".LaughLaughLaugh
    There is no “best” points for buying/selling, what we can do is to find the "most suitable" one. Every point of the transaction is the result of careful consideration, but there is no guarantee that every step is correct. I have heard lots of theories which are so difficult to implement. It is difficult to invest in terms of waiting, upholding and being emotional. Fundamentally speaking, it’s hard for us to break through ourselves.
    When to buy and when to sell is always the biggest question to answer.
    We tend to get fearful as stocks go down and sell at the bottom. We tend to get fearful of missing out as stocks go up and buy at the top.

So what should we do?
    (Before you start, you should always know your risk profile and investment time horizon.)
    Here is the process that I follow.
    First, I look at the macro level to identify trends.
    Some points to consider:
    1. What is a growing trend?
    2. What is changing ?
    3. What is not changing?
    4. Who and what is a disruptor?
    Once you identify the trends, you can zoom into the specifc companies.
    I use a checklist to evaluate the companies before I invest and develop your thesis. A thesis is very important because it will gives you conviction when the market is down.
    Checklist include:
    - financials
    - management of company
    - moat
    - Potential,optionality, network effect
    $Amazon(AMZN.US)$ is one of the great example of how it expand its optionality. It grew from a bookshop to a leading ecommerce to the leading cloud services company. Its early investors are greatly rewarded.
    Lastly, I also use dollar cost averaging when I buy a stock.
    Selling is as hard as buying. So the stock that you bought have doubled. Do you sell?
    I think it depends on what type of investor you are. If you are a short term trader, cashing out for profit is fine. As a long term investor, if your thesis remain unchange and the business is continuing to grow, I will continue to hold.
    I will sell if:
    - Original thesis changed.
    - Business on continue decline, for more than 2 qtrs.$StarHub(CC3.SG)$ was showing weakness for a while before its share price slowly declined.
    - Red flag spotted. For example, $Hyflux(600.SG)$ was showing warning signs when they borrowed a lot and borrowed to pay dividends.
    There are so many great companies out there. $Apple(AAPL.US)$ , $Microsoft(MSFT.US)$ , $Amazon(AMZN.US)$ just to name a few.
    By having your own system, it will make your investment process better and hopefully more successful.
    There are many indicators which are placed below the stock within moomoo. how to use these indicators to decide the position on a stock. Activate the bollinger  bands(boll), macd and kdj indicators shown below the stock graph. Select daily, weekly or monthly graph depending on how long you are going to hold your position. Look for these factors.
    1. Gaps on candles. Gaps are one of the major factor for trader, it's the number one trading rule that every gap is closed in future whether its upward or downwards. In the above graph there are 3 gaps. which is already indicated by moomoo interface. These gaps will be closed that means stock is more likely to go upwards in few days.
    2. Bollinger bands. Bollinger bands shows the upper and the lower support levels. If the stock price crosses the support levels such as in the figure above, it's very likely to get corrected(in this example above the stock might go up because it crossed the lower band) within the bands.
    3. MACD is very complicated one but very useful. In simple terms if the red and blue lines are about to intersect, then there is a reversal of position. In the above case it will intersect in few days to make an upward trend. Another indication in macd is the volume, the sell volume will reach to a peak below the graph where the buyers will overtake the volume and you will see a decreasing red volume below graph. In above graph it seems that the peak point is today or is in few days.
    4. KDJ is one of the most Important indicator because it can show you the overbought or oversold level of a stock.
    K >80 shows the stock is overbought
    d<20 shows the stock is oversold
    thus from the above graph we can say that Adobe stock is oversold and soon buyer/institutions will jump in to buy the stock.
    Average oscillators are also great indicators when it comes to short term trading. There are many average moving indicators, also provided by moomoo which shows the average line to trace the trend of a stock. The stock is more likely to follow the trend average line with a very less chance of going away from it. But the more bigger your graph sample size is the more correct your interpretation will be. That's why I believe in long term trades, because they are more likely to be correct when you use these indicators.
    hope it will be helpful
    Happy Trading
    4 Important Indicators on moomoo to show whether to buy/sell a stock
    Hi all Mooers,
    hahaha Buy / Sell, here lets talk about supply and demand. Its jus all about buying and selling, to me its like transfer from one side to another. To all newbies like me, when we enter the stock market its like entering a flee market with vast varieties of stores to buy our needs.
    Heres one things are u a big investor or a small scale investor jus started out. Now the question everyone have in mind is how to get the cheapest yet good items. Hahaha my point is not everyday u hit gold.
    Here’s something which im using to determine which stock to lookup.
    $Marin Software(MRIN.US)$
    Take this stock for example we can search google to check hows its returns
    From 5.69 to highest 11.42, current drop back to 8.38. To me its upwards trend, checking on to the companies profile we do see investment opportunities. So try hitting somewhere below 10 and selling at around 10-12 that will yield some fast profits.
    (Im not a financial investor, this is not a financial advice)
    We can also look up News highlights for the week to see which are the top gainers / losers
    News info will give us better ideas where the world is heading towards which market industry are the uptrend or downtrends
    From Quotes , at the top choose Markets , we will be able to see US hot stocks , this shows the hottest picks currently.
    So if u did ask when will i choose to let go / sell the stocks at hand, once it reached a desired price or sometimes to breaklost (5-10%) and buy in on another stock to get back on the lost. Or sell to gain profits returns and keep a lookout on dips and get back on for the ride.
    Alrite so thats all for buy / sell (supply and demand) haha cheers all and good luck 🤞🏻
    $AMC Entertainment(AMC.US)$ 
    $Marin Software(MRIN.US)$ 
    $Globalstar(GSAT.US)$ 
    $Canoo(GOEV.US)$ 
    🦍 🦍 🦍
    We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful.
    +2