Account Info
Log Out
Log in to access Online Inquiry
Back to the Top

How to report suspicious activity to local authorities

Moomoo Lily wrote a column · Nov 28, 2023 21:05
We have compiled methods for reporting fraud to local government authorities in different regions. If you believe you have been a victim of fraud, you can easily find the relevant reporting details and take immediate action to protect yourself and others from potential harm.
For United States users:
If you find yourself a victim of an online financial scam or have concerns about potentially fraudulent investment offers, take the following steps immediately:
1. Freezing or locking your account and changing your login information ASAP may be critical to mitigating and recovering losses.
2. Contact the SEC, FINRA, or your state securities regulator to report the fraud.
3. Provide as many details about the case as possible, including the companies or individuals involved, investment products or services, and the amount of loss, and upload supporting documents related to this case, such as emails, contracts, or transaction records.
>>> You can find more information by visiting How to Avoid Fraud.
For Singaporean users:
If you have lost money or personal details to a scammer, here's what you can do immediately to protect yourself from further loss.
1. Contact your bank to report the scam. Ask them to stop any transactions.
2. CALL 999 and file an official police report at the nearest Neighborhood Police Centre.
3. Or file an e-report online with the Singapore Police Force.
>>> You can find more information by visiting YOU’VE BEEN SCAMMED, WHAT’S NEXT?
For Australian users:
If you think you have fallen victim to a scam:
1. Contact your bank immediately to report the suspected scam and tell them to stop any transactions.
2. Consider lodging an additional cybercrime report via Report | Cybercrime - getting help |
3. If you have provided any identity information to the scammer, including your name, date of birth, address, and details of your identity documents such as passport or driver’s license, contact IDCare immediately to lodge a report via IDCARE Official Website | Identity Theft & Cyber Support.
4. Consider notifying the NASC via National Anti-Scam Centre | ACCC.
>>> You can find more information by visiting Protecting yourself - Scam.
For Malaysian users:
If you think you are a victim of fraud, please take the following steps to protect yourself and other potential victims.
1. CALL your bank immediately or dial the National Scam Response Centre hotline at 997.
If any unauthorized or unacknowledged transactions are detected in your account, please CALL the 24-hour hotline provided by your bank or dial the NSRC hotline 997 (available daily from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM MYT, including public holidays).
2. Report the incident to the police.
After contacting your bank or NSRC hotline, file a police complaint as soon as possible within 24 hours of the incident. Filing a report with the local police is crucial to initiate an official investigation. Please note that providing false reports is a criminal offense. To ensure prompt action, it is recommended to contact your bank or NSRC hotline before reporting the incident to the police.
Even if a fraudulent incident has occurred outside of the previous 24 hours, it's still imperative that you report it to your bank. This can assist authorities in taking action against those involved in the crime.
>>> You can find more information by visiting BEWARE OF SCAMS.
For Canadian users:
How to Report Fraud to the Toronto Police?
If you think you are a victim of fraud, you can file a report online or CALL 416-808-2222 and take these steps right away:
1. Gather all information about the fraud, including receipts, copies of emails, text messages, and documents.
2. Put an alert on your credit report by contacting Equifax Canada or TransUnion Canada.
3. Change all your passwords.
Did the incident happen outside of Toronto?
To report a crime outside Toronto, please contact the police service that is responsible for that area.
I think someone tried to scam me, but I did not lose any money. Do I need to report it to the police?
If you have received a text, email, or telephone call and have not provided any personal information or lost any money, please contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or to file a report.
>>> You can find more information by visiting REPORTING & PREVENTING FRAUD.
All contents such as comments and links posted or shared by users of the community are the opinion of the respective authors only and do not reflect the opinions, views, or positions ofMoomoo Financial Inc., Moomoo Technologies, any affiliates, or any employees of MFI, MTI or its affiliates. Please consult with a qualified financial professional for your personal financial planning and tax situations.This presentation is for information and educational use only and is not a recommendation or endorsement of any particular investment or investment strategy. See this link for more information.
Disclaimer: Moomoo Technologies Inc. is providing this content for information and educational use only. Read more
Sign in to post a comment
    Moomoo Community Official Account
    As a Community Moderator, my goal is to foster authenticity, diversity, and a caring atmosphere within the Moo community