Account Info
Log Out
No matches yet
Operations too frequent. Please try again later.
Please check network settings and try again Refresh Refresh
History record delete
    Quotes All >
      News All >

        What is Market Sentiment?

        Views 16K2023.08.09

        Key Takeaways

        The term "market sentiment" describes how buyers and sellers feel about specific security or financial markets. It is the attitude or atmosphere of a market, also known as the group psychology of that industry, which may be inferred from the activities and value movements of the securities traded in that market. A positive market mood is generally indicated by increasing prices, whereas decreasing prices indicate a negative market feeling.

        Understanding Market Sentiment

        The state of the market, commonly known as "investor sentiment," may not necessarily reflect the underlying facts. Investors' feelings about security may generate sudden price swings, and day trading and technical analysis depend on investor confidence to inform the chart patterns they employ to gauge and benefit from these swings. Investors who go against the grain of mainstream opinion, or "contrarians," also place a premium on reading the market's attitude. For instance, a contrarian will sell if everyone else in the market is buying.

        Bearish and bullish are the two terms that investors often use to characterize the current market attitude. When bears dominate the market, we see a downward trend in stock prices. Prices of stocks tend to increase when bullish sentiment is predominant in the market. Since the stock market is sometimes driven by emotions, "market sentiment" is not usually the same as "fundamental value." Fundamental value refers to how well a company performs, whereas market sentiment focuses on how investors and traders feel.

        Some investors are successful because they can identify companies that are either overpriced or undervalued depending on the general mood of the market. They use a variety of indicators to gauge the mood of the market, which assists them in selecting the finest stocks to trade. Moving averages, the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX), the High-Low Index, and the Bullish Percentage Index (BPI) are all well-known mood indicators.

        Indicators That Can Be Used To Determine How People Feel About The Market

        The VIX

         Option prices are the primary motivating factor behind the VIX(CBOE, Chicago Board of Options Exchange Volatility Index ), commonly known as the fear index. If the VIX continues to rise, this indicates a growing need for insurance in the marketplace. It is a symptom of increased volatility when traders must take precautions against potential losses. Moving averages are added to the VIX by traders, and they assist in establishing whether the index is relatively high or low.

        The High-Low Index

        The high-low index is calculated by contrasting the number of equities that have reached new 52-week highs with the number of stocks that have reached new 52-week lows. At a level of the index below 30, investors are pessimistic about the market, and stock values are approaching their lows. When the index is more than 70, stock prices move closer and closer to their all-time highs, and investors tend to have an optimistic outlook on the market. Traders often use the indication with a selected underlying index, such as the S&P 500, Nasdaq 100, or NYSE Composite.

        Bullish Percent Index

        The bullish percent index, often known as BPI, is a measurement that determines the number of stocks with bullish patterns using point and figures charts. The optimistic ratio in neutral markets hovers around 50 percent. When the BPI provides a rating of 80% or greater, investor confidence is exceedingly positive, and there is a good chance that equities have been overbought. Similar to how a reading of 20% or below suggests an oversold marketplace, a reading of 30% or above shows bullish market sentiment.

        Moving Averages

        When determining how investors feel about a market, they often look at the 50-day simple moving average (SMA) and the 200-day SMA.

        The "golden cross" occurs when the 50-day simple moving average (SMA) crosses above the 200-day simple moving average (SMA). This suggests that momentum has switched upward, producing bullish emotion. On the other hand, a "death cross" occurs when the 50-day simple moving average (SMA) falls below the 200-day simple moving average (SMA). This indicates a downward trend in prices and contributes to a pessimistic outlook.

        How to Invest in the Market Based on Sentiment Analysis

        The volume of trades is one metric that may be used to analyze the state of the market. This is especially important to keep in mind when it comes to stocks and options since it might indicate either growing or diminishing interest. It's conceivable that investor sentiment is deteriorating if, for instance, a business's stock price has continued to increase, but trading volumes have begun to decline. This might be an indication that sentiment is shifting away from the company. Because foreign currency is handled over-the-counter (OTC) instead of through a centralized marketplace like a stock market, the statistics on issues such as trading volumes are less trustworthy and more difficult to evaluate. Given the context of the current discussion, it is vital to keep this in mind as it makes it more difficult to estimate volumes for forex.


        In conclusion, various methods are available for gauging market participants' emotions and gaining a potential advantage over the market before significant shifts occur. Although it shouldn't be the exclusive focus of a trading strategy, monitoring public opinion may provide valuable context for a more in-depth assessment of the market's future performance.

        The mood of the marketplace should not be disregarded since individuals and their perceptions are what move the markets either up or down. The financial markets are always moving and changing, so it's crucial for traders to be informed and listen to both the bulls and the bears to have a better understanding of the currency market mentality and, more significantly, where it could be headed next.

        This presentation is for informational and educational use only and is not a recommendation or endorsement of any particular investment or investment strategy. Investment information provided in this content is general in nature, strictly for illustrative purposes, and may not be appropriate for all investors. It is provided without respect to individual investors’ financial sophistication, financial situation, investment objectives, investing time horizon, or risk tolerance. You should consider the appropriateness of this information having regard to your relevant personal circumstances before making any investment decisions. Past investment performance does not indicate or guarantee future success. Returns will vary, and all investments carry risks, including loss of principal. Moomoo makes no representation or warranty as to its adequacy, completeness, accuracy or timeline for any particular purpose of the above content.

        Moomoo is a financial information and trading app offered by Moomoo Technologies Inc.

        In the U.S., investment products and services available through the moomoo app are offered by Moomoo Financial Inc., a broker-dealer registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and a member of Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)/Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC).

        In Singapore, investment products and services available through the moomoo app are offered through Moomoo Financial Singapore Pte. Ltd. regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS). Moomoo Financial Singapore Pte. Ltd. is a Capital Markets Services Licence (License No. CMS101000) holder with the Exempt Financial Adviser Status. This advertisement has not been reviewed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.

        In Australia, financial products and services available through the moomoo app are provided by Futu Securities (Australia) Ltd, an Australian Financial Services Licensee (AFSL No. 224663) regulated by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC). Please read and understand our Financial Services Guide, Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy and other disclosure documents which are available on our website

        In Canada, order-execution only services available through the moomoo app are provided by Moomoo Financial Canada Inc., regulated by the Canadian Investment Regulatory Organization (CIRO).

        In Malaysia, investment products and services available through the moomoo app are offered through Futu Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. ("Moomoo MY")regulated by the Securities Commission of Malaysia (SC). Futu Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. is a Capital Markets Services Licence (License No. eCMSL/A0397/2024) holder. This advertisement has not been reviewed by the SC.

        Moomoo Technologies Inc., Moomoo Financial Inc., Moomoo Financial Singapore Pte. Ltd.,Futu Securities (Australia) Ltd, Moomoo Financial Canada Inc., and Futu Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. are affiliated companies.